Federal Agencies: A Quick List
- Veteran Health Administration (VHA): Physical/mental health and social services
- Veteran Benefits Administration (VBA): Disability, pension and GI Benefits
- National Cemetery Administration: Burial
- Department of Labor Veterans Employment and Training Service (DOL-VETS)
- Housing and Urban Development (HUD): for HUD/VASH vouchers, community development, and homeless programs
Federal Benefits Include:
- Federal Home Loans
- Pension/Disability Compensation
- Education Benefits
- Housing Supports
California State Agencies that Serve Veterans: A Quick List
- Operates Veterans Homes
- State Home Loans
- VA Claims
- Employment Assistance
- Resume Help
- Job Placement
- Financial Benefits
- Veteran Home Loans
- California Veterans’ Homes
- Veteran Recreation Benefits
- Veteran Employment Preference
Local / Non-Governmental Agencies
On the local level, there are a multitude of organizations that can help veterans. These can be categorized as county-level veteran service offices which operate in each individual county, and local non-profits which support veterans through social services, housing, and employment resources.
Local non-profits may also administer federal and state programs, including:
- Supportive Services for Veterans and Families (SSVF): Rapid rehousing and eviction prevention.
- Transitional supportive housing.
- Permanent supportive housing (project-based HUD/VASH).
- Employment and job-training services through Department of Labor (DOL) grants and California VEAP (Veterans Employment Assistance Program) contracts.