Veteran Employment Strategy Summit
This event is postponed until late fall 2014. Thank you all for your interest! We will let everyone know the rescheduled date in the coming weeks.
Hosted by: Oracle
When: September 8, 2014, 9am – 3pm Pacific
Where: Oracle Conference Center, 350 Oracle Parkway, Redwood Shores, California
Who should attend: The event will provide opportunities for Bay Area tech hiring managers, recruiters, and human resource professionals to learn practical ways to recruit, hire and support their veteran employees. Because seating is limited, priority will be given to tech hiring managers, recruiters, and human resource professionals.
What will we cover?
- Learn about military and veteran culture and resources, including how unique skill sets learned during military service can translate to the civilian workplace.
- Discuss obstacles and solutions for veteran recruitment, training, placement and supporting veterans in the tech workplace.
- Learn and share success stories from tech employers with veteran hiring programs.
- Learn from peers in the tech industry about how to develop affinity groups and support a vet-friendly workplace.
Welcome and Why We’re Here –Michael Blecker, Executive Director, Swords to Plowshares
10:00 – 11:00 AM
Combat to Community: Transitioning from Military Service to the Civilian Workforce
- Military and veteran culture and resources, including commonly shared values, goals, and practices that characterize service in the military
- Unique skill sets learned during military service that can translate to the civilian workplace
- Building community and support structure for veterans through supportive programs at the workplace
Panelists who have developed veteran hiring programs discuss their process, lessons learned, and success stories:
- Duane Davis, Program Manager, Dallas Technology Service Corps at NPower
- Chris Galy, Director of Talent Acquisition for Intuit Inc.
- Katherine Webster, Founder of VetsinTech and TechCentralSF
- Barbara Williams, Director of Diversity and Inclusion at Oracle
12:15 – 1:15 PM
1:15 – 2:15 PM
Breakout Sessions to identify obstacles and solutions for veteran recruitment, training, placement, and supporting veterans in the workplace
2:15 – 2:30 PM