The government does not automatically provide benefits or even medical care to our country’s military veterans. Swords to Plowshares’ Legal Team works hard to get veterans the services they deserve and has been providing free legal services to veterans for decades.
Our Legal Team specializes in:
• Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits
• Military Discharge Upgrades
Swords’ Legal Team is unique in that it provides attorney representation and consultation to veterans of any era and discharge status. Swords is one of the few organizations in the country that provides free attorney representation in Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits and military discharge upgrade cases. Our Legal Team works closely with clients to access the benefits they have earned, which helps veterans avoid or escape homelessness, increase their financial stability, and focus on their long-term health and well-being.
Why is there a need for legal assistance?
VA benefits are not automatic and many veterans are not aware of the benefits to which they are entitled. In addition, those veterans who did not receive fully honorable discharges may be ineligible for most VA benefits. By removing obstacles that prevent veterans from being eligible for or receiving the benefits they deserve, we play a key role in rebuilding the lives of veterans after their military service.
Applying for VA benefits is a confusing process; many veterans are unable to navigate the process alone. Proper legal assistance can mean the difference between no benefits and a lifetime of disability compensation and access to health care and other benefits.
Did you know?
- Currently there is a backlog of nearly one million disability claims at the VA
- An average of 89% of Bay Area veterans have not accessed their VA benefits
- Today’s troops are exposed to multiple deployments and have higher rates of physical and psychological trauma
- Experts predict that 35% of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans—a total of 700,000 veterans—will experience post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Over two million troops have deployed, but only 61% are eligible for VA care
Please note: Swords to Plowshares only provides legal representation to low income and homeless veterans who reside in San Francisco.
To learn more or find out about our drop-in hours, please call our Legal Team at (415) 252-4788 or email us at email@example.com.