More veterans are returning from duty in Iraq and Afghanistan, some struggling with transition to civilian life and the invisible wounds of war.
Swords to Plowshares’ Institute for Veteran Policy developed Combat to Community training, a series of curriculum developed for community partners, including law enforcement and other criminal justice professionals, clinicians, faith-based communities, and others, to address the challenges veterans face re-integrating into the community.
Combat to Community is a series of training programs developed by our Institute for Veteran Policy, focusing on the transitional challenges facing recently separated veterans. The curricula are designed to promote an understanding of the challenges service members face while serving their country and the transitional obstacles they face when returning home. The training provides community partners with the knowledge and tools to better assist veterans with their reintegration process while targeting training areas that have historically posed challenges for our returning veterans.
- Veterans are disproportionately represented among our country’s homeless population.
- Veteran unemployment figures are significantly higher than their peers.
- Mental Health injuries are being reported in greater numbers when compared to past conflicts.
- Reports of depression, suicide, substance abuse, and domestic violence continue to increase.
- There is a growing prevalence of veterans entering our jails, state, and federal prisons with criminal behavior stemming from service-related mental health and cognitive injuries.
With an estimated 38,000 veterans returning to California every year, it is vital for communities to understand the sacrifices and experiences of the men and women who have served our country, as well as provide focused services that address the particular transitional barriers these veterans may face.
We provide training in the following areas:
- Law Enforcement & Crisis Intervention Teams
- Women Veterans
- Behavioral Health
- Education & Employment
- Legal & Criminal Justice
- Human Resource Professionals hiring veterans
- Domestic Violence Intervention Services
- Judge Lawyers
- Faith based-Clergy Cultural Competency